Do you have a question you would like to ask Professor Puzzler? Click here to ask your question!
Merry Christmas from me and my four year old son. Here's a Christmas tree ornament we built this morning. Each face is a triangle, and there are twenty faces in all. The faces are all made from last year's Christmas cards, cut into circles, and then folded around the shape of an equilateral triangle, in order to simultaneously form the face and provide a surface for gluing. Click the image for a larger view.
The icosahedron is one of 5 Platonic solids (regular solids). The complete list is:
- Tetrahedron: Four sides that are all equilateral triangles
- Cube: Six sides that are all squares
- Octahedron: Eight sides that are all equilateral triangles
- Dodecahedron: Twelve sides that are all regular pentagons
- Icosahedron: Twenty sides that are all equilateral triangles
I've made ornaments/decorations from three of those five shapes; maybe when I've done all five I'll publish an instruction sheet for each!